Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Julie Denning


Forgotten Dreams
collage on paper
4" x 4" 2015



Dreams Remembered
collage on paper
4" x 4" 2015

Tomorrow's Dreams
collage on paper
4" x 4" 2015


Dreams Revisted
collage on paper
4" x 4" 2015


Artist Statement
Over 20 years ago I took a number of classes learning the art of Katazome. I loved carving my own stencils, applying a resist paste onto fabric and using natural dyes to color the fabric. I always wanted to pursue this, but I never had a studio or a place where I could make that dream happen. I love so many of the Japanese art forms including Sumi-e, Wood Block Printing and Katazome. The collages I created for this exhibit reflect the love for those art forms and the dream that I will be able to pursue this. 

Bio
Julie has been a Decorative Artist for 30 years creating custom stencils, everything from Early American to Street Art, murals, faux finishing and teaching. "It is always the history behind the particular art form that interests me" Julie states. "I not only love the history, but I also love the process." When she starts something new she researches it, whether it is an obscure technique or something new and innovative. "Most of what I see and do is taken from something old, rediscovered and interpreted in a new way".